Complete Guide to Migrate Email From One G Suite Account to Another
This technical write-up is for G Suite users who wish to migrate email from one G Suite account to another. Here, we’ve explained two different methods including manual and automated for users’ reference.
Let’s start our discussion with a concerned user’s query.
“Hi, there! One of our employees quit their job this week. For security reasons, my boss wants all the crucial emails of that employee to be migrated to a new account. I have been searching for ways to perform the migration but ran out of luck. I would really appreciate it if anyone could suggest an effective method. Thanks in advance.”
From the above query, it is clear security could be one of the reasons for migration. But, is it the only reason? Certainly, not! Other reasons are also there that arises a need to perform G Suite migration. Let’s have a look at those.
Why Are Users Looking For Solutions to Migrate Email from One G Suite Account to Another?
Past events of data breaches show that ex-employees pose a greater threat than hackers. So, the primary purpose for migrating G Suite data could be due to data security reasons.
Other than that;
- Storage space might be the reason. And, migrating existing emails to another Google account can be helpful free up some space for new emails.
- In case someone changes the organizational domain name, migrating data from one G Suite account to another becomes necessary.
- Last but not least if some user just wants to transfer their G Suite data to the newly created account then it only makes sense to perform the migration.
As an administrator performing a successful migration could be challenging if you don’t know the right approach. Without further ado, let’s start with the manual approach.
Also Read: How to Transfer Office 365 Mailbox to Another Account?
Migrate Email From One G Suite Account to Another Using Google Data Migration Services
Before you begin the migration process, there are certain steps you need to complete in the account you are migrating from.
Step 1: Data Migration Service Set Up
Follow the below steps on your target domain.
- Sign in to your Google admin console
- Next, go to Menu > Account > Data migration
- After that, click on Set Data Migration Up
- Select Migration Source as Google Workspace
- Press Start
- Then, click Select Users
Step 2: Migrate emails from another Google Workspace account
The following steps need to be performed on the target Google Workspace domain.
Case 1: If you want to migrate email for a single user
- Click Add user
- After that, fill in the user’s Google Workspace email address on the source account.
- In the Google Workspace Email field, enter the user’s new Google Workspace email address and choose from the list of suggested users.
- In the Password field, provide the user’s password for their source email account.
- Finally, press Start.
Case 2: If you want to migrate multiple users
- Click on Bulk upload with CSV
- Then, click on Attach file to upload the CSV file containing all the legacy email addresses and the new Google Workspace email addresses.
- After that, tap on Upload and Start Migration
- Finally, after the migration is completed, click on More > Exit migration
As you can see the whole process is very lengthy and time-consuming. Besides, there are certain downsides to this approach.
Limitations Associated With The Manual Method
- This migration is suitable if you want to migrate a maximum of 100 or fewer users.
- You can’t migrate other workloads such as contacts, calendars, etc along with emails. It means you have to run the tool once for each type of data that you would like to migrate.
- Sometimes the status bar doesn’t progress as expected.
- If you have a large number of emails to migrate and want to transfer them in one go then it could take longer than usual. The tech giant itself suggests not migrating all the emails in a single migration.
- Oftentimes messages show the wrong date. That means instead of showing the original email date & time, it shows the migration date & time.
The above method can be useful but not impactful. That’s why it is advised to opt for a solution on which you can completely rely. One such solution is to use tried and tested software like the Migrator Wizard G Suite Migration tool.
Let’s see how can you smoothly perform the migration with the help of the tool.
Migrate Email From One G Suite Account to Another Using The Professional Tool
The tool lets users experience a secure, smoother, and faster migration. Whether you want to perform a small-scale or large-scale migration, it ensures effective and error-free migration.
Most importantly, working with the software is really easy. That means whether you are a technically sound person or not, it doesn’t matter. You can effortlessly perform the migration by using the software.
Let’s get familiar with the working steps of the software.
Step-By-Step Software Procedure to Migrate Email From One G Suite Account to Another
Here are the six steps you need to follow to carry out the migration.
Step 1. Download and install the software on your computer device.
Step 2. Select both the source and destination as G Suite.
Step 3. Select the desired workloads for the migration. Apply date filter for selective email transfer.
Step 4. Enter G Suite admin account credentials for both Source & Destination and validate the same.
Step 5. Fetch users and map G Suite user accounts.
Step 6. Verify necessary permissions and click on Start Migration.
The above steps help in migrating not only email but also documents, calendars, and contacts from one G Suite account. The tool has some prominent features you should know.
Related: Complete Office 365 Migration Checklist to Follow
Advanced Features Of The Tool
- Any type of workload be it email, document, calendar, or contact, you can migrate all at once.
- The tool allows you to set priority and perform migration based on that.
- The pause and resume option lets users stop & start the migration anytime they want.
- Provides options to re-do the migration in case any data items are left during the initial run.
- Facilitate with Delta Migration option to migrate only newly arrived data.
- A comprehensive report at the end of the migration to measure the success rate of the migration.
Whatever may be the reason to migrate email from one G Suite account to another, doing it manually could be time-consuming. Though it is a free method but has so many limitations. That’s why it’s recommended to opt for the software to carry out a risk-free and smooth migration.