Quick Fix for Microsoft Teams Chat Disappeared Issue – Complete Explanation
Microsoft Teams allow organizations to stay connected and access shared content anytime to learn and plan together. It also facilitates chatting, calling, and sharing videos so that the shared documents and files will be constantly available to the team members. However, some users have certain concerns that their Microsoft Teams chat disappeared somehow.
Let’s have a look at some user queries.
“My team and I were reviewing our past conversations on Teams chat history for an important project. Surprisingly, some of our chats were missing and we’ve confirmed with one other that nobody deleted any chat from our end. So, we are wondering how did that happen.”
“I faced a very strange & rather disturbing situation. When I rebooted my system, I noticed that my chats from a specific duration disappeared from the Teams app. Since my line of work relies heavily on Teams, I need to know the reason and want a solution at the same time. If anyone knows a solution then please share, I would really appreciate that.”
After reading such types of queries, it’s inevitable that there’s some kind of technical gap that’s causing the problem.
6 Steps to Fix Microsoft Teams Chat Disappearance
- Step 1. Download, Install, and Run the Tool on Your PC.
- Step 2. Opt Office 365 as Source and Destination Platform.
- Step 3. Select the Required Workload and Apply Date Filter.
- Step 4. Use O365 Admin Credentials to log in to the Tool.
- Step 5. Create Required Mapping and Validate Permissions.
- Step 6. Click on the Start Migration Button to Fix the Issue.
Before going for the solution, let’s first understand what can be the possible reasons for getting the ‘Microsoft Teams chat missing’ issue.
What Could Be The Reason(s) Behind Microsoft Teams Chat Disappeared Issue?
When unexpectedly your chats disappear from your chat history, it breaks the flow of the conversation (which could be a crucial part of the whole discussion). So, we examined some situations and found some potential causes.
- Poor Internet Connection: When you have weak connectivity, sometimes it fails to load previous messages.
- Huge Amount of Chat Messages: Having a large volume of chat often slows down the application. Consequently, it fails to load the discussions.
Now that you know the possible reasons, let’s see what you can do on your end to remove the problem.
4 Different Workarounds to Eradicate The Microsoft Teams Chat Disappeared Problem
The issue can be due to some technical glitches and here are some solutions you can try.
- Cached data of Teams and cookies sometimes cause the chat missing issue. So, you can first try to clear the same by following these steps.
Go to AppData>>Microsoft>>Teams>>Cache, and Clear the cache files.
- Most users who complained about the Microsoft Teams chat disappearance issue were found to use desktop-based Teams application. And, if you too are a desktop-based Teams app user, then you can use the web version of the Teams app & cross-check whether you are able to view the missing chats or not.
- Since weak internet connectivity is the reason behind the issue, you need to verify that your internet connection is running at a significant speed.
- You can try the standard approach i.e. signing out from the application & signing in again.
Above are common workarounds you can try. However, unfortunately, if these solutions didn’t work for you and you are still facing the issue. Then, the alternate solution would be to migrate your Teams data to another tenant. Since your organization’s crucial chat conversations are at stake, migration seems to be the best solution for the Microsoft Teams chat disappeared issue.
So, How Can You Migrate Microsoft Teams Content To Another?
The ultimate approach to transferring your Teams data along with group chat is to take the help of the tried and tested software Migrator Wizard Microsoft Teams Migration. It is one of the most trusted and widely accepted software solutions that ensure error-free migration within the minimum possible time.
However, before moving these data you should consider checking the complete Microsoft Teams migration checklist for a better understanding of data management.
With the help of the tool, you can do so many things. Such as,
- You can easily migrate Microsoft Teams chat conversations with its timestamp.
- If you have posted messages on multiple channels then you can migrate them too. Plus, you can move files, attachments, streams & inline images, etc.
- Also, you can transfer GIFs, links, replies/Conversations, and channel message stickers.
- Along with chat messages, you can migrate Microsoft Teams, Groups, Files, Channels, Channel conversations, etc.
- Some other benefits such as through Delta migration, you can transfer newly arrived data from the source. [To use the Delta migration feature, you should ensure that you don’t click on the mark as a complete button.]
- You can easily map the source with the destination to experience a seamless migration of Teams chats.
Also Read: How to Transfer Office 365 Mailbox to Another Account? Best Way Explained
These are just a handful of advantages of using the tool. Now, let’s have a look at the working steps of the software.
Step-by-Step Procedure to Fix Microsoft Teams Chat List Disappeared Issue
The software is easy to work with due to its user-friendly interface and the steps are really simple to carry out.
Step 1. First, download the software from the given link, install it and run the same on your system.
Step 2. Then, select both the source and destination as Office 365.
Step 3. Keep scrolling down and click on ‘Teams’ in order to migrate the Teams data & fix the Microsoft Teams chat disappearance issue. After selecting the Teams checkbox, it will automatically choose all the applicable options for you.
Step 4. Next, provide the Office 365 Admin email and Application Id for both the source and destination. After that, click on Validate & verify the required permissions.
Step 5. Next, navigate to the ‘Resource’ tab. Through ‘Fetch users’, ‘Import users’, or ‘Download template’ you can fetch the users.
Step 6. Once you specify the users, click on Validate to verify both the source and destination permissions.
Step 7. Lastly, click on the Start Migration button to begin the migration process.
Step 8. After following the above steps, the tool will automatically start transferring your MS Teams data including chat conversations.
Must Read: Office 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration Step By Step Guide
Microsoft Teams is an important platform where you share crucial files & links, and discuss various business operation plans via chat messages. And, not being able to view those conversations can be quite upsetting. Though Microsoft is on this mission to fix the ‘Microsoft Teams chat disappeared issue’, when it is going to come up with a solid solution is uncertain.
Meanwhile, you can try the above-mentioned solutions and fix the issue. Or, straightly go for the one-stop solution and migrate the respective data to get rid of the issue.